Saturday 27 February 2016

Zoropsis spinimana, a newcomer to the UK

I'm an admin on a very successful facebook group called British Spider Identification that was started by the lovely Jenni Cox. Anyway a several days ago, a lady posted a photo of a distinctive looking spider that she had found in her garden shed in Richmond, Surrey. Straight away it was identified as a Zoropsis spinimana. This is a large, heavy set, slow moving spider, (by UK standards, that is), that doesn't build a web but actively hunts its prey. Traditionally a Mediterranean species, Zoropsis spinimana has established itself in the USA and UK. Most records for this species in the UK have been in London and the outlying areas. Anyway, after the photo was posted in the group, I got in contact with the lady (her names Sue) and asked her if she could send me the specimen. Sue sent it the following morning and I received it the following day. When I got in from work later that day, I must say I was like a kid in a sweet shop, proper excited to say the least. I open the parcel and wasn't disappointed! She is quite a large specimen at 31mm body length and nearly 2 inch leg span. Her abdomen is absolutely massive, so there's always the possibility of her being gravid. I took her out for a few quick photos and to be fair, they were quite rushed as she was very sluggish and and obviously stressed by her Royal Mail trip, special delivery class! I've now had her for a few days and she has livened up no end. Very docile species and walks with a tarantula gait, and I'm chuffed to have her in my collection.
This was the photo that was posted on the Facebook
group British Spider Identification by Sue.

This photo shows the eye arrangement, though the PLEs aren't very clear.

The beautiful carapace markings of Zoropsis spinimana.

Dorsal view 

Handling this very docile species.

No comments:

Post a Comment